Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lost in Translation

I remember in the early days of seeing Ninja, one of the questions I'd asked him was which language he was most comfortable conversing in. While his list ranged from English and Hindi to Telugu, I could only confidently say that English is my first language and I can get away with basic Malayalam, with all other languages only having been learnt primarily for paper-passing purposes (don't you just love alliteration?).

What I didn't account for were all the little language variations we pick up along the way (I'm sure everyone does it; even I've come up with my own colorful words) to describe different situations. Not to mention I had the handicap of not having been brought up in India, which meant there was some additional catching up I had to do when it came to stories with childhood references.

Let's just say - it's a learning process.


1 comment: